Thursday, August 26, 2010

Generation #Fail

(**An Editorial note on this post.  I realize that not all 50-somethings are teapartiers.  I mean more to point out the lack of 20-somethings in the movement.  )

Thank you everyone for your positive responses to my first post below. Many people have asked me if I would be following up with a new post anytime soon. I was afraid that I wouldn’t have much more to say. My fears were assuaged this afternoon.


If there is any indication of a failed generation, it is the Tea Party movement. This current political movement, populated by many rotund 50-somethings, is the epitome of a generation’s epic failure.


Today while I was walking back to work after my lunch break, I stumbled across a group of 50-somethings insisting that we impeach Obama for his “mass-genocide,” being an “agent of foreign power,” and likely the fact that he is “Muslim” (I hate to insult anyone’s intelligence that is reading this, but incase someone not in ‘the know’ stumbles upon this post, Obama is not a Muslim). More confusingly, their pictures portrayed Obama with Hitler’s mustache (Hitler was not a Muslim either).

Accordingly, I took out my camera and took the opportunity to photograph these specimens in their natural state. One tried to hand me a leaflet that espoused their position on things. Upon rejecting it, he questioned “What, can’t read?”


I overheard a person questioning one of the protestors:

Person on the Street: “Really? Are you really claiming that Obama is committing genocide?”

Protestor: “We have no jobs. This is a genocide.”

Unsurprisingly absent from this crowd were 20-somethings. I think most of us understand the weight of the word genocide.

Oh yeah—to the guy who asked me if I could read when I rejected his leaflet: Yes, I can f*cking read. I went to Boston College, not Beck University.

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maurya,
    This is sad! I have spent so many hours arguing on why it is OK to have a mosque down by ground zero and how St. Nicholas should be erected again since it game down when Tower 2 fell on it. It is very sad. This year I am introducing many more themes in politics because our next generation needs to be smarter about what happens in Washington D.C.

    To add insult to injury you know many of the Tea Party candidates are going to win in November only because as a country we are ignorant on the issues. I said to someone "So what if Obama is Muslim anyone born in the US can run for office including Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh, etc." They turned around and said they would no vote for anyone who is anything but a Christian. Very sad!

    Despena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, the Ground Zero mosque situation is beyond frustrating. Maybe i'll have to write a future post about that. I think it would be a good thing to use as a first discussion with the Model UN team this year though!

    ReplyDelete