Tuesday, September 21, 2010

WIHS Students are AWESOME: Sobeida Peralta

 I'm taking a little hiatus from writing for the week (the school year has started, so I have been pretty busy), but I wanted to highlight another phenomenal WIHS Student.  Sobeida Peralta was recently named ESPN's Rise Above Student Athlete of 2010.

I am so proud of how far she has come.  Check out this video and the article that was written about her. 

Click here to see the video


Click here to read the article

I  met Sobeida when she joined Washington Irving High School's Mock Trial team her freshman year.  Sobeida's determination became quickly apparent as became the team's star lawyer almost immediately.  She became my mentee during her sophomore year.  As you can probably gather from the video, Sobeida is a very busy lady so we have not been able to meet on a regular  basis since her sophomore year, but she still stops by to see me and some lawyers at Cleary from time to time, and she plans to take our SAT crash course we offer through the month of October.  I am very excited to get to spend a few weekends with her soon.

 I got the opportunity to bring Sobeida to Cambridge during the Spring of her sophomore year to look at her dream school (Harvard).  It was a trip I'll never forget, and I hope it gave her a vision to go along with her dream.  (Perhaps I'll save the story about our trip for another blog post.)

Congratulations Sobeida! You are amazing and you inspire the people around you on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment