Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Doing and Thinking

At the encouragement of a friend, I’m resuscitating my blog. The hiatus began a little more than three years ago -- right before the idea for ScriptEd came about. I became completely consumed by the idea for ScriptEd, and have not stopped working on it ever since. I’ve never had kids, but I imagine the all-consuming nature of running a start-up is similar to having children.   


So, I stopped writing.  


And over the last few months, for the first time in since then, I’ve started to feel like I can pick my head up and start to reflect. I’m working on ScriptEd full-time now. (I was not for the first 1.5 years). I’ve hired a staff.  We’re at a point where I no longer have to worry about whether we’ll make payroll. We have health insurance. We’ve got a great team that has taken on some of the work I used to do. We’re growing from a team of 4 to 11 or 12 over the next few months and doubling our volunteer corps next school year, and while I’m still working very hard, I’ve finally come up for a breath.


Writing is one of the best ways for me to reflect and process. I am by nature a “doer” -- I am incredibly good at getting things done. I’m certain this strength is a big reason ScriptEd has been so successful. Writing is “doing” and “thinking” at the same time. Two birds, one stone.


This isn’t just selfish, though.  I have a lot to share. I’ve got lots of hard-earned lessons and inspiring stories from our students and volunteers.

So stay tuned! I’m excited to share with you again.

4 comments:

  1. In some ways a startup can actually be more overwhelming than a kid, since now you are responsible for a whole bunch of people. It does help that they can (usually) lift their own heads up and use the toilet when you get them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, true, but ScriptEd employees and volunteers go home at night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.mikewchan.com/2015/05/21/3-ways-raising-kid-like-running-startup/

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.mikewchan.com/2015/05/21/3-ways-raising-kid-like-running-startup/

    ReplyDelete