Friday, February 5, 2016

Early Bird Gets the Worm

It has been a very busy week at ScriptEd, so am just getting to my weekly post at 6pm on a Friday.

As you'll see from my post last week, I've been in the middle of a bunch of longer term projects recently and was struggling to sit down, focus and tackle them.  Thanks so much to the folks who emailed me tips -- they worked well.   I think getting into an environment away from people, the constant notifications on my phone and social media was the most effective thing I could do to focus.

For me, this means waking up really early.  A couple of times this week, I woke up between 4 and 4:30 am and got solid work done until 7:00 am (and moved my workouts to the night time instead!).  Early mornings are the only time of day when I feel like I can easily get rid of all outside distractions.  I normally have to interact with people all day long, so it's hard to sit and focus for long stretches of time during the regular work day. I'm usually pretty tired by the end of every day, so evenings have never been very productive for me.

(Yes, I'm pretty tired from these early wake up times this week.)

I'm headed to DC tomorrow morning for Teach for America's 25th Anniversary. I'll be presenting on ScriptEd and Computer Science Education on Saturday with some of my team members. Hope to see some of you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment