Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Selective Procrastination

I have selectively procrastinated for as long as I can remember.

Does anyone else out there have this problem?

Selective procrastination, as I've come to understand it, is procrastinating while being productive.

Here's what I mean:

I'm supposed to be working on a grant right now. Instead of writing the grant, I've cleaned my bathroom and my kitchen.  I've responded to emails. I've reached out to some of our partner companies to see if they'll hire ScriptEd interns this summer.  I've asked my team to invite me to observe some of their classes.  Now, I'm writing my weekly blog post, and I'm going to start making myself dinner soon.

For the most part, these are all important things I need to do anyway, so I don't really think it's technically procrastinating.  I think that I'm just 'selecting' to do some of my to do list items and not others.

The reality is that I'm really just avoiding writing this grant.

What do you think? Tips anyone? Would you just call this procrastinating?


1 comment:

  1. This happens to me too. For me, there is some dislike towards the task that I'm delaying. It's either boring, time consuming, or difficult. So I put it off and keep doing that.

    I would be interested to hear what tips you find out so that I can use them too.

    ReplyDelete