Friday, June 5, 2015

Changes

Yesterday, I turned 31. Thank you to everyone who made my day really special.


If I could pick one theme that defined the last year of my life, it would be “change.” My life completely changed in the last year:


  1. I moved three times -- From Manhattan, to Brooklyn, to another place in Brooklyn. Before last year, I lived in the same apartment in Manhattan for seven years - the longest that I’ve lived in one place for my entire life. There’s a lot I miss about living in Manhattan and in my old apartment, but I also feel like I’ve “come home” by moving to Brooklyn. Living in Brooklyn forces to me have more of a work / life balance. I’m really loving it here and can’t believe it took me so long to get here.
  2. I ended a relationship with my best friend. Erik and I lived together for five years. He is one of the most creative, passionate, charismatic and intelligent people I know. He has so much to do with who I am today - he taught me all about bikes, he got me into programming, and he is the person who first came up with the idea for ScriptEd. His family became my family. Our relationship allowed me to pursue all of the things I wanted to in my twenties. In the end we decided, for a whole bunch of reasons, that we were not meant to be each other’s life partners.  
  3. ScriptEd changed a lot. A little more than a year ago, it was just me and Becca working out of my apartment and coffee shops. We moved offices four different times in the last year to accommodate our growth.  We worked with a lot more volunteers, students and schools. The things I do day to day in my job are very different now than the things I did a year a go.


I definitely know a lot more about myself at 31 than I did at 21, but I’m still figuring some stuff out. All these changes have made me re-examine who I am and what I want out of life. They’ve all made me grow.

I’m really excited for the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment