Thursday, June 25, 2015

Kids Say the Darndest Things.. on Age

Kids really say the funniest things.  Because I've worked with kids for my entire career, I've had a lot of experience with being the old person in the room.  Kids say really, really funny things about about age.

Below I'm sharing some funny tidbits from things kids have said to me over the years about my age.

On Age and Skin (from 2008, when I was 24)

I was at a pizza shop with a group of students near Columbia one night after a Model UN conference.  The restaurant was covered in mirrors, and we had to watch ourselves eat in front of these mirrors.  I looked exhausted, so I made a comment to one of the students saying "wow, I look old and exhausted.  Look at the bags under my eyes."

The student responded "yeah, and look at your wrinkles!"

I relayed the story to a different student the following day.  That student reassured me saying "Miss, you don't have wrinkles. Your skin is way too oily to have wrinkles."

On Marriage (from 2007, when I was 23).

I told my students a story about how when I was a kid, I thought I would get married when I was 25. Then I started college, and thought I would wait until I was 30. By the end of college, I inched that number up to 35.

One student reacted frantically and said "35?! You better hurry up and meet someone - you've only got 2 years!"

On Having Kids

Our 18 year old intern announced to our staff recently that she would definitely have kids by the time she was 26 -- anything older would be WAY too old.  She said this not realizing that nearly our entire staff is older than 26, and none of us have kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment