Friday, September 11, 2015

New Goal: Inbox Zero Fridays

Anyone who has ever worked closely with me knows that I keep my inbox pretty clear and I tend to respond to things very quickly. It's so extreme that the last time I took a day off work to compete in a triathlon, my staff thought that I was responding to emails while I was on my bike and racing (I wasn't!). If my inbox ever has more than 20 emails, it means I'm having an incredibly busy day or week.  Currently I have 9 emails in my work email inbox, and one email in my personal inbox.

Anything that is in my inbox is basically a glaring "To-Do" that I have not dealt with yet. I strive to get those emails out of my inbox and into my to-do list, but unfortunately some of the emails can't simply be put on a to do list.

I think by holding myself to a Friday rule (and not an every day "inbox zero" rule) will help me feel less compelled to triage an email whenever it comes in.  I have until Friday to make sure my inbox is clean.  It also means I can leave work on Friday, hopefully, without feeling the need to check my email for a bit.

Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment