Thursday, September 24, 2015

We Finally Started Using Slack

I know we're late to the party, but we finally started using Slack at ScriptEd a couple of weeks ago.  It looks like it's here to stay.

Over the summer, we made a huge effort to reduce the number of emails we were sending internally.  We were spending way too much time and energy in our inboxes and not getting enough real work done. We started off by using Asana, which has been a terrific. (Read more here).

Slack takes it to another level.  My email traffic has slowed to a trickle. It's great.

A lot of people tried to describe how Slack works to me before I started using it, and I always felt slightly confused afterwards. I'll try to summarize here, but can't promise that you'll totally get it if you've never used it: Slack is a communication platform for teams.  You can categorize conversations into different streams ('channels'). It aggregates conversations as information, and is searchable.  Do a google search for "Slack Reviews" to learn more.

These two efficiency tools have reduced the number of emails I receive to my work address every day from roughly 200 to 20 (This is just INBOX emails -- not newsletters / noncritical emails that go to the other tabs of my gmail mail box).  This works out to tons of saved time.

Check out these tools! You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment