Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Three Things I've Learned from Blogging Every (Work) Day

It turns out that it's really hard not to blog every day. It's a habit for me now, and scaling back has been difficult.  I'm not sure how to adjust to longer and more in-depth pieces yet. I'm still trying to find the right balance.

So in the meantime, I'm going to share somethings I've learned from blogging every work day for the last four months.


  1. I never know what's going to be a hit.  One of my most read blog posts is about wallpaper. I was having writers block one morning, went into the WeWork bathroom, looked at the walls, got annoyed at what I saw and decided to write about it. The post went viral. I've also written topics that I've spent a lot of time and thought on that end up not getting read all that much.  My top five most read posts this year are: (1) Teaching Kids to Fail through Code (by far my most read piece ever... by like 4x any other post), (2) We Need Female Volunteers, (3) Trust Yo'Self / Imposter Syndrome, (4) WeWork Wallpaper, and (5) Wallpaper Update.
  2. I never know who I'm going to reach.  ScriptEd has gotten donations and new volunteers through this blog.  I've been asked to speak more as a result of this blog. We even got the bathroom wallpaper taken down as a because of this blog. The last few months have turned me into a believer in blogging.  It works.  For people who are working at nonprofits and/or on social missions, I  couldn't recommend it more -- it's a  free and easy way to amplify your work and mission.
  3. There is always something to write about. Writing every day isn't always easy.  There have been a lot of days where I've had no idea what to write.  Something always materialized, though. The habit of writing every day forces me through writers block.
---

I'm off to the Bay Area tomorrow for a Computer Science Education conference, and will be in LA next weekend.  If you're around, let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment