Friday, July 31, 2015

Coaches

Last night I got a very cool opportunity to work with the coaches of EVEPC, a forward thinking cycling studio in the South Bronx that has a holistic approach to training. It was a really fun experience. I was filmed riding my bike on a trainer and had my technique reviewed and critiqued afterwards by cycling coaches.  It was eye opening, and I look forward to fine tuning my riding skills and learning more from them.

Until this May, I had never worked with any coaches to train for triathlons. I joined the Brooklyn Triathlon Club in May and since then I've had an opportunity to get tons of feedback and ideas from coaches and fellow triathletes on my athletic development.  It's helped me realize that there is still so much more I can accomplish if I'm more intentional and reflective about my training.  Next season I will probably work with a triathlon coach to hone in on some of the things I can improve.

The last few months have also helped me remember the importance of coaches more generally.  Growing up, I worked with the same swim coach for 13 years. There is absolutely no way I could have accomplished what I did as a swimmer without him. Beyond swimming, my work with him shaped the way that I approach problems, accomplish goals and view the world.

I'm looking forward to working with a coach again.  I could probably could benefit from working with a professional coach, too. (We all could, I'm sure). If anyone has a recommendation for that, let me know!


Check out some of the photos from last night here:



















1 comment: