Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Thanks Steve!

Today I had lunch with Steve Larosiliere, the very inspiring Founder and President of Stoked. Stoked's missions is to inspire teens who are the most vulnerable to believe in themselves through action sports. Similar to ScriptEd, Stoked utilizes volunteer mentors to help kids -- we have coding volunteers, and they have volunteers who skateboard, ski and snowboard with kids.
Steve and I have been having lunch together once a month for the last half year or so. He has 10 years of experience as a founder and leader of a nonprofit, and has become a tremendous role model and mentor to me.  He provides advice from a place of experience and understanding, and can empathize with a lot of the particular challenges I face as a founder in the nonprofit space.  


Having worked with students for so long, I'm used to being the mentor -- not the mentee. I love mentoring other people.  Over the past few months, though, I have started to more fully understand how important mentors are to my own professional development and to making sure that ScriptEd is a successful organization. 


So thanks, Steve!  You're awesome.   


No comments:

Post a Comment